Friday, May 24, 2013

Get To Know: Cole Whitworth


So excited to feature my fellow Savannah Arts Academy Alum, Cole Whitworth. Not only is he a brilliant photographer, but he's also an all around great guy, SCAD graduate, AND Savannah local.  Like every great photographer, his photos speak volumes; so take a look at some of his great words below on how he got into the game, and then get transported through his photography here and on his website. And give him a follow over on Twitter to follow a photog's journey!

COLE WHITWORTH
Owner, ColeWhitworth.com
Photographer, Artist, Storyteller

CLUTTER FURNISHINGS AND INTERIORS: What drew you to photography?
COLE WHITWORTH: My father was always taking pictures of my siblings and I growing up and I gained an interest in the art because of that. I found it a necessary skill to learn so that I could document life with a bit of craft and not have a bunch of family photos with badly framed loved ones and red eye.  I really enjoy the medium for the purpose it was designed for, a way to record time.

CF&I: When did you receive your first camera?
CW: I received my first camera when I was a freshman in high school at the Savannah Arts Academy. It was a Nikon FM 10 and I learned photography with it and through the process of film. I still use that camera for some of my personal work today.

CF&I: What is your favorite subject to photograph?
CW: That’s a tough question to answer. I enjoy photographing a variety of subject matter but probably my favorite subject is people. Everyone’s different and some people respond well with cameras while others do not. The challenge is making people feel comfortable while you’re taking their picture and capturing who they really are.  

CF&I: What is your camera of choice?
CW: Probably the Canham 4x5 Field Camera. I love having so much control with that camera and the beauty in the results.

CF&I: What is your favorite thing about living in Savannah?
CW: The architecture and beauty of downtown. I’ve grown up here but never really appreciated the scenery until I began college at SCAD. The Spanish moss adds such romanticism to the city that I love.  And it looks great in pictures.

CF&I: What is your guilty pleasure?
CW:  Vinyl records. Hands down. I love buying music and seeing the cool color blends on the hard plastic and then listening to it play on a good turntable and sound system. I need to slow down on buying so much of it. It’s addictive with all the great music that continually comes out.

CF&I: Describe Cole Whitworth photography in five words.
CW: Honesty in its purest form.




[Photos courtesy of Colewhitworth.com]


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...