Thursday, July 11, 2013

Get To Know: Leslie Miller

Click on the photo to see Leslie's beautiful website.

Local artist and SCAD alum, Leslie Miller, is shaking up the art and fashion worlds with her beautiful fiber-based creations. You can find her in stores on both coasts and in collaboration with Project Runway alum, April Johnston.  If you don't know Leslie yet, it's about time you got on board. Get to know a little about her below!

LESLIE MILLER
Owner, Leslie Miller Design
Artist, Designer, Creator
 
CLUTTER FURNISHINGS AND INTERIORS: What drew you to fashion and jewelry?
LESLIE MILLER:  Definitely the people that I met in my last weeks of college and the Summer following. I had planned on going into print design somewhere, and doing small beading projects on the side, but once I met April Johnston of Mangled Courtesan, we realized that something about our styles worked perfectly together...and it stuck.

CF&I: As an artist, what is your favorite medium to work with?
LM:  Beads and sequins! As far as materials to embellish, I would say anything with a little bit of structure. Leather is high on my list and recently, taffeta. I also have a great love for wood burning.

CF&I: What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
LM:  I think the best thing we can all do as aspiring and/or established artists is to stay true to what we love. It is very easy to lose your voice in our field trying to please everyone, but someone somewhere is inspired and in awe by what you do.
         I also think spending time working or visiting with other artists and designers is very important. It allows us to get a glimpse of their styles, inspirations and techniques and they gain all the same experiences with you.

CF&I: Where can we find Leslie Miller Designs?
LM: Right now, I have my beaded accessories in a boutique in Los Angeles called Orphic and in shopSCAD here in Savannah. The most recent collection by Mangled Courtesan is also in both of these locations as well. It is so awesome to find places that are so helpful and supportive to young designers and artists. It is all available via email as well and can be seen at www.lesliemillerdesign.com.

CF&I: What’s next for Mangled Courtesan, your collaboration with April Johnston?
LM: April and I are currently working on our next collection for Spring/Summer14, Purgatoire. We plan on showing in September and so far it is beyond exciting and beautiful. As April prepares to make a move up north, we will continue to work together, just with a few hundred miles between us. Look out east coast!

CF&I: What celebrity would you just die if you saw them wearing your work?
LM: Whew! This is good. Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine and Ellie Goulding. So much talent and style...yep I would die!

CF&I: What music is on your design playlist right now while you’re creating?
LM: A little bit of everything. Some days I love country and other days, Ellie Goulding and Lana del Rey. We are so lucky Pandora exists!

CF&I: What is your guilty pleasure?
LM: French fries! All of them.

CF&I: Describe Leslie Miller Design in five words.
LM: Intricate. Delicate. Sparkle. OOAK. (I know only 5 words! One of a kind)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...