Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Clutter Top Ten: Georgia Bands (All Time)
We love lists. We love music. We love lists about music. So here's another one. Clutter's Top Ten this week features the best all-time Georgia bands...take a listen!
1. R.E.M. Athens' coolest band of all time (hands down) is the Michael-Stipe-fronted, R.E.M. Now in their fourth decade of making music (although they half called it quits in 2011), R.E.M. has been a hit machine, a band of activists and humanitarians, and consummate trendsetters.
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "Nightswimming", "Everybody Hurts", "Shiny Happy People"
2. Outkast. "I'm from Atlanta, baby / He's from Savannah, maybe / We should hook up and get tore up and lay down, hey we..." raps Andre 3000 of Georgia funkiest hip-hop duo, Outkast. Big Boi's a hometown legend in SAV, and Dre is one ATL's finest lyricists.
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "B.O.B.", "Ms. Jackson", "Humble Mumble" (anything on "Stankonia").
3. The Allman Brothers Band brought us Southern rock and made Macon, Georgia the home of one of the greatest, hard rock-ingest groups around. Their music is as relevant (and cool) today as it was in the 70s...you can hear ABB's influence in every Kings of Leon song!
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "Melissa", "Midnight Rider", "Ramblin' Man", "Jessica".
4. Sugarland's rocking mix of musicality and Jennifer Nettles' amazing voice is inspiring, fun, quirky, and always interesting. That rare country duo....thankfully Sugarland came along so Big & Rich and Brooks & Dunn weren't winning all the Best Duo awards.
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "It Happens", "Baby Girl", "Stay".
5. Of Montreal is Athens' quirkiest, hippest, rad-est, best live band around. Their music even inspired an amazing Outback commercial!!
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse", "Suffer For Fashion", "Requiem for O.M.M. 2"
6. The B-52s are cool as hell. Enough said.
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "Roam", "Rock Lobster", "Love Shack" (of course!).
7. The Dahlonega based Zac Brown Band is a cool blend of country, Southern Rock, and something extra...like if Jimmy Buffett was an Allman Brother, or if Kenny Chesney had hair...
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "Colder Weather", "Chicken Fried", "Keep Me In Mind".
8. Neutral Milk Hotel is yet another Athens group, by way of Louisiana, who has influenced everyone from Arcade Fire to Bon Iver to The Decemberists. NMH was our go-to, hipster jam in college...because we were trying to be cooler than we actually are...(waa waa).
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "Holland, 1945", "The King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. One".
9. When I was in high school, I wanted to be the fourth member of TLC. I thought maybe T-Boz would add a 'B' (for Brooke) and let us change the name to BLT-C...but then people might think we were a sandwich...with cheese...but I digress.
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "What About Your Friends", "Creep", "Waterfalls", "No Scrubs" (SO MANY!!!).
10. The Cusses are Savannah's hippest, lady-fronted, world-smashing, life-changing band you ever heard. Part punk, part elevated rock a la Yeah Yeah Yeahs, part creepy-cool alt rock, the Cusses are the real deal. Follow them on Facebook, tell your friends about them, and get ready for them to blow up...BIG TIME!
Clutter's Favorite Songs: "Purses", "Don't Give In", "Worst Enemy".